ABOVE GROUND POOLS FAQ’s
Why would I choose an above ground pool?
- Costs considerably less
- Faster and easier to install
- Require less yard space
- Can be moved to another property, or within the existing property in the future
- Easy to maintain, easy to service! Every piece of plumbing / mechanical is accessible!
- Long lasting! 60 year warranty on Discovery, 40 year on Zenith
What’s the average cost of an above ground pool?
When purchasing an above ground pool, there are 3 main cost areas:
- The price of the kit itself
- The price of the installation
- The price of the pool surround/decking
- Complete pool and startup kit including ground preparation (pool pad / concrete ring with sand fill) and install: $7,000 – $16,000
Factors that will affect the cost:
- the size, options, and type of pool
- Electrical Hookup
- Accessories (Like salt chlorine generators, heaters, covers, slide, etc.)
- Pool heated or unheated?
- Heating is worth it! Unheated pools get most of their use in July and August, where Heated pools get used May – September (inclusive)
How are above ground pools constructed?
- Discovery: resin structure and top rails with steel wall and vinyl liner. Felt liner guard is placed under the liner over the soft sand fill.
- Zenith: Steel structure with resin top rail, steel wall and vinyl liner. Felt liner guard is placed under the liner over the soft sand fill.
How do I decide what size to purchase?
- How much yard space do you want to dedicate to the pool? In most cases it’s ideal to leave a 3’ walkway around the pool.
- We are always happy to visit your property to lay out different sizes of pool so you can see exactly how they will fit in your yard!
Do I need a permit to install an above ground pool?
- Building / electrical / gas permits may be required depending on area
- 6’ non-climbable, and lockable fence for safety
What’s the process of installing an above ground pool?
- Ground prep (which may involve minor excavation): 1-2 Days
- After excavating a thin layer of soil gravel is laid and packed
- Concrete / Pool Pad ring is formed
- After a short cure time the interior of the ring is filled with soft sand
- Pool Install: 1-2 days
- Structural supports are erected on ring, steel wall is installed in place and resin top cap is installed.
- Plumbing / mechanical sections are installed. At this time electricians can complete their work (if they were required) and gasfitters can connect gas to the pool heater (if heater is purchased)
- Pool is filled. After filling components are tested, water is treated, and we provide an instructional session on how to operate / treat your pool!
How long does it take to install?
- With no interruptions or weather delays: 3-4 days depending on the size of project. Includes ground preparation
Can I heat my above ground pool?
- Yes! Heating will extend your swim season 2.5x longer!!!
What is involved in maintaining an above ground pool?
- Just like with a hot tub this depends on how much use the pool is getting. In most cases you will have a weekly water treatment regime.
How long will an above ground pool last?
- If you install one of our pools today, and have your first child tomorrow, that child will be grown and out of the house, will have their own children that will grow up and move out of the house and the pool will still be standing! At this point you would have replaced a couple of liners and covers, but our above ground pools are rated for 40 or 60 years depending on the model you choose!
What do I do with my above ground pool in the winter?
- Winterizing an above ground pool is easy, and involves draining the water level down 12”-18” below the return jets, draining the plumbing and equipment and leaving a little antifreeze in the equipment to keep it protected. Alternatively disconnect the mechanical equipment, drain and leave in a heated garage!
Contact us for a site inspection and quote.