In light of the recent pandemic surrounding COVID-19, many might be wondering whether our pools and hot tubs are safe to enter. The key practice at all times is to regularly monitor and maintain your pool and hot tub at specified levels. It’s even more critical during times like this when there is a heightened awareness of viruses such as COVID-19.
Here’s what the Center for Disease Control & Prevention has stated in an article related to Water Transmission and COVID-19.
COVID-19 Pool & Hot Tub Tips
Ensuring that pools and hot tubs are functional and properly sanitized is an essential service in preventing stagnant water from becoming a health hazard.
With the outbreak of the coronavirus, Backyard Leisure would like to share with you some tips regarding Pool & Hot Tub use.
Pool & Hot Tub Tips:
- Maintain a proper chlorine or bromine residual continuously
- Pools: 2 – 3 ppm
- Swim Spas, Hot Tubs: 3 – 5 ppm
- Use a reliable test kit to ensure proper levels prior to use and as needed to maintain the proper levels continuously
- The water should also be tested and adjusted as needed to maintain a pH of 7.4 – 7.6
- If the chlorine or bromine level is insufficient, do not allow use until the levels have been returned to the recommended levels
- Pools – operate the pump and filter continuously to ensure adequate filtration, circulation and distribution of chlorine or bromine
- No person should use a pool or hot tub who is feeling sick in any way or displaying symptoms of the flu or COVID-19
- Don’t swallow pool or hot tub water, take frequent bathroom breaks and practice good hygiene (shower prior to entry)
- Important: When using a pool, swim spa or hot tub, practice safe physical distancing from others not from your household to prevent person to person spread above the water (i.e. respiratory droplets)
- Clean exposed hot tub surfaces regularly with Dazzle Tub Cleanse (with Hydrogen Peroxide) to eliminate viruses and microorganisms above the waterline
We are here to support you and flatten the curve by helping families enjoy sheltering at home. We hope that your pool or spa will continue to help you provide a place of refuge, renewal and support within your home during this unprecedented time in our history.
For info on other water care questions, check out our Water Care FAQ page.
So, should you be in your hot tub or pool?
YES!!!! Here are just a few reasons why NOW is the best time!
- a place of refuge from the “storm”
- relaxation and renewal
- entertainment for the family
What if I run out of water care chemicals?
Backyard Leisure is committed to providing you with the water care chemicals that you need at a time like this. To that end we have introduced EASYSHOP which will allow you to order and obtain your chemicals in a safe and responsible way.
Here’s what we are offering to our valued customers:
If you are self-isolating, call in or fill out the Online Order Form
FREE LOCAL* WEEKDAY DELIVERY – on orders over $100 (*Lethbridge, Coaldale, Coalhurst)
CURBSIDE PICKUP – if you prefer to keep your social distance, phone in your order and we will meet you at your vehicle outside the store
PAYMENT – we will take payment over the phone or we can email your invoice and you can pay online.
And 1 more additonal way to pick up your product:
LOCK BOX – if you can’t make it to the store during regular hours, call in your order and it will be placed in a lock box for pickup at your convenience.
Let us know if there is any way in which we can assist you. You can contact us by calling the store at 403-327-7665 or by email at [email protected] or We appreciate and value your continued support as together we work through these challenging times.